Shooting Match Raffle Tickets (November 16, 2014)
The annual Legion Meat Shoot will be held on Sunday, November 16th from 1 to 5 at VFW Post 5694. Proceeds from the sale of the raffle tickets are the MAJOR FUNDING SOURCE for our community and Legion programs. Tickets have been mailed to the members, along with the SAL and Ladies Auxiliary. Ticket prices are $1 each or 6 for $5. There are over 60 winning chances and you do not have to be present to win! Member selling 12 tickets will be entered into a special drawing for 1 of 5 bacons. Members selling $60 in tickets will receive their choice of a turkey or a ham. Please support the Legion by selling or purchasing these tickets and attending the “shoot“! The Auxiliary and SAL are eligible to receive the sales bonuses. In addition, 25% of their gross sales will be returned to their organizations. The Auxiliary will be selling a variety of food and deserts all afternoon. The Ladies Auxiliary is also holding a “Silent Auction” at the event.
For more information, or if you need more tickets to purchase or sell, please contact Tony Haislar (654-3643) or Wayne Wirz (654-8419).
Legion Dues Payments
The 2015 Legion dues fiscal year runs from July 1, 2014 until June 30, 2015, not for the calendar year 2015. Many members have a misunderstanding that 2015 dues aren’t payable until January, 2015. If you have not paid your 2015 dues, please pay as soon as possible. If we obtain 100% payment by November 1st, the Post will receive a $250 bonus from the Department of Illinois. These funds will be used for one of several specials member dinners planned this fiscal year.
Dues for the 2015 fiscal year, Jul 1st 2014 to Jun 30th 2015, are now due. This year $26 of your dues will be sent to the National and Illinois state headquarters to support their activities and programs. Recently, your dues have assisted in providing the American Legion with a united, national voice to address VA hospital problems. More than the remaining $4 is spent on Highland Legion Baseball, youth recreation baseball, oratorical scholarships, Legion Boys State, HHS and Mater Dei post proms, Children’s Miracle Network, the USO, and other worthwhile local and national programs.
Our annual membership dinner will be held on Saturday, November 8th at the Legion Home. Social hour will begin at 6PM with dinner at 6:30. A Post 439 Legion, Auxiliary, or Sons member with paid 2015 membership is entitled to a free dinner, while non-Legion members will be charged $5. At this dinner, we will present Blue Star Banners to local families who have family member(s) currently serving in our military. Please make your reservations by November 1st by contacting Wayne Wirz (654-8419) or email@example.com and assist us in honoring those serving.
Veteran’s Day Weekend Events
Saturday, November 8th: Post 439 Annual Membership Dinner at 6 PM
Sunday November 9th: Highland Veteran’s Day Parade beginning at St. Paul’s at 1:30 PM.
Monday, November 10th: Highland High’s tribute to Veterans at 7:30 AM in the gym
Tuesday, November 11th: Edwardsville’s Veteran’s Day Parade at 6:30 PM
Annual Corporation Meeting
The annual Post 439 and Auxiliary corporate meeting will be held Monday, January 12th, 2015 at 7:30PM at the Post Home located at 1130 New Trenton Road, Highland, IL. All Post and Auxiliary members are encouraged to attend.
Our post and auxiliary meetings are held on the second Monday of each month at 7:30PM. The meetings for the remainder of this fiscal year will be Oct 13, Nov 10, Dec 8, Jan 12, Feb 9, Mar 9, Apr 13, May 11 and June 8th. After each meting we enjoy a meal put on by the Ladies Auxiliary.
1st Sunday Breakfasts
The post holds a 1st Sunday ALL-U-CAN EAT breakfast. The menu includes fresh scrambled eggs, biscuits, bulk pork sausage gravy, fruit, pancakes, Korte’s breakfast sausage, and drinks for only $7.00. Future breakfast dates are Sunday Oct 5th, Nov 2nd, and Dec 7th. Since this is our major fundraiser, please support our post by joining us for breakfast.
Information about the post and its activities can now be found at the new Post website at www.leeiten439.com. Thanks to Steven Money, Commander Post 439 Sons of the American Legion, for his efforts with this project.
Our Post supports Legion baseball(2 teams/approximately 40 players), Legions Boys State, Sons of the American Legion, the Police Academy, Scholarship Awards, Oratory Contests, and these activities:
- Post 439 Auxiliary: This organization is open to all female family members, who have a family member eligible for Legion membership. The Auxiliary supports Legion programs and serve veterans and their families. If you know someone eligible for Auxiliary membership or want more information, please contact Auxiliary President Sandy Green at 618-791-6603.
- Sons of the American Legion: This organization is open to all male family members, who have a family member who is eligible for Legion membership. If you know someone eligible for membership or want more information, please contact Son’s Commander Steve Money at 314-643-0972, Roger Mickelson at 618-224-2631.
- Honor Guard: Serves at military funerals, when requested, for all local veterans. If you are interested or have questions, please contact Val Buchmiller at 618-795-3372 or 654-2556.
- Color Guard: Marches in local parades, posts/retires the colors at school and civic events, and serves at other local ceremonies as requested.
- Gifts to Yanks: Provides Christmas gifts to all veterans, not only Legion members, who are in local nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Several Legion members are also planning on visiting sick and disabled veterans on a regular basis.
- Legion Riders Motorcycle Club: If there is interest, our Post would like to sponsor a Legion Riders MC. The Riders escort veterans at their funerals, ride in parades, and raise funds for a Legion charity which assists in providing college funds for children of veterans killed in action.
- Korea and Vietnam Veterans Associations: If there is interest, our Post would like to affiliate with local Korea and Vietnam Veterans Associations.
If you are interested in or would like to assist in any of these programs, please contact the individuals listed or the Post Commander at 618-654-4062
Adjutant Position: The Adjutant (Post secretary) position will be vacant July, 2015. If you are interested in serving as Adjutant, please contact Jim Hobbs at 618-654-8287. He will describe the duties and mentor/train you for the remainder of the year.
National Data Base: A printout is being mailed to you of your national membership information. Please correct omissions/errors, or update the information, on the form and return it to Jim Hobbs (13307 Field Crest Road, Highland, IL 62249) or the Post (1150 New Trenton Road, Highland, IL 62249) or call Jim at 654-8287.
Serving veterans and their families: If you know of a need or an area of service that our Post can perform for veterans and/or their families, please contact the Commander. A primary purpose of the American Legion is to serve who have served.
Note: If you have not submitted the post a copy of your DD214 or military discharge documents to comply with an IRS requirement, please submit it to the post.
Tony Haislar, Commander Post 439
Soundra Green, President Ladies Auxiliary
Steven Money, Commander SAL
Herb Durbin, President Post 439 Corporation